Saturday, June 6, 2009

Terminator: Salvation (2009)

Wow, forget what you know about the franchise, because like Kyle Reese said in the first film "The future is not set, fate is what we make for ourselves"and in this film its never truer. McG, just like Jonathan Mostow had a similar task, not only did he have to take over for a film that many thought of as a huge step down, but he had to start a new trilogy, while keeping true to the Cameron films. He succeeded in a lot of ways, but just like any sequel was off a little. First off, the actions of T2 help wipe the future with a clean slate, meaning that the openings and dream sequences in the previous films are now way off. Secondly, we are no longer dealing with time travel and paradox's, it is the present and there is no changing what already is.
The score this time around is done by Mr Batman(1989) himself Danny Elfman, of course in my opinion no one could ever score a Terminator film like Brad Fiedel did, but if you had to choose anyone, I'm glad it was Elfman. McG, like I said above did an awesome job at directing the film. In 2009 its kind of hard to make an action film with robots without CGI or loads of special effects, but he help keep it looking real enough and keep it looking old school. The make up effects seen on Sam Worthington is a great flashback to earlier films and in my opinion are superior to Arnold's make up in T3. The PG-13 ratings doesn't seem to hurt the film, all it seems that it kept was the nudity(which for me is an improvement, I'm tired of seeing male asses, lol). The scene with the CGI Arnold wasn't as spectacular as I thought it would be, but was impressive. Now to the performances:

Christian Bale; you would think that a post-Judgement Day trilogy would focus on John Connor, I mean he was the focal point in the machines attempts to secure victory in the future. Like I said, forget what you know. Bale does a terrific job as John Connor and really seems to come into the role. My only complaint is that he does tend to go into Batman mode sometimes(not in the voice way though). He still did a fine job, one I would love to see again and will. There are several emotional scenes and each one I always wonder which one is it he exploded on. Maybe the DVD will have the answer.

Bryce Dallas Howard; takes over as Kate Brewster from Claire Daines and for me she is an improvement in looks only. Throughout the film she really doesn't do much. She's pregnant in the film, so obviously you can't have in harms way. He role gets a bit bigger toward the end and she does begin to shine a bit. Hopefully T5 will have her not pregnant and really stepping up as Connor's 2nd in command.

Sam Worthington as Marcus Wright was the main focus of the story and man did he take the role and wrnt with it. Worthington really shined with this role and went through some crazy action sequences. I am looking forward to his Clash of the Titans role of Perseus. His character eventual reveal is something I will not expose, the the emotion set forth in the scene makes you really feel for the character. Hopefully we see him again in future films, his character is too good to not return.

Moon Bloodgood as Blair Williams, a resistance fighter who meets Marcus and helps him in his mission to find John and save Kyle. She's good, but her role really just felt like she was part of the story to keep it moving. I still hope to see her again as I can her character really becoming a bigger part in the humans winning against the machines.

Michael Ironside as General Ashdown, wow even with a small role like this, he manages to steal the show. Terrific actor. I feel so bad that he hasn't gotten a starring role as the main star.

Anton Yelchin as Kyle Reese; it disappoints me that Jonathan Jackson didn't portray Kyle Reese in this film, he did an awesome job in the Sarah Connor Chronicles and looks more like a young Michael Biehn than this guy does. That's not to say he didn't impress me with his portrayal, its just a disappointment in the casting. Anton does come into the film and does a superb job and really seems to be the Kyle that Michael's Kyle describe. I'm guessing the end of this trilogy will showcase Connor sending Kyle into the past and the reprogrammed T-800 as well.

Teriffic acting, great script and fine direction makes me open my arms and accepts this into the franchise. In memory of Stan Winston and he would be proud. 4 out of 5 stars for this baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment